If you are soon to be moving into a brand-new home, this is a great opportunity to get rid of furnishings and home accessories that have seen better days, and while furnishing a home is never going to be cheap, it is a long-term investment. The best place to start is to look at your existing furnishings and fittings and decide exactly what you are going to use in the new dwelling, which enables you to create a list of essential items which you will need to acquire.
- Start with Basic Necessities – Rather than trying to get your new home how you would like it when you move in, start with basic necessities; things you cannot do without, such as screening, floor covering and some basic furniture. Once the basics are covered, you can add items over time, and remember to have a few glass tumblers handy, in case you have guests, plus a few wine glasses, which always come in handy.
- Online Suppliers – Whether you are looking for a new 3-piece suite or some cookware, the online supplier will always have the lowest prices, as they do not have the huge overheads of a traditional retailer. You could, for example, search online for a home accessories supplier that would stock many items you need now, plus quite a few that are on your wish list, and this takes the stress out of shopping.
- Set a Monthly Budget – If you crunch the numbers and come up with a figure that you can afford to spend every month on home accessories and furniture, you can create a priority list and work from that. Rome wasn’t built in a day and no one would expect your home to look like a show house from day one, so gradually acquire items you need on a monthly basis and you will eventually have the home how you like it.
- Think Quality – Home furnishings should last for many years, so resist the temptation to choose cheaper items, rather looking for tried and trusted brands that might be a little more expensive, but will stand the test of time. The same goes for kitchen and dinnerware, or indeed any other items you are planning to acquire, and with a quality online supplier, you can source brand names at affordable prices.
- Choosing a Theme – Of course, the interior of your home should follow a theme, which might be modern, contemporary, vintage, or even Bohemian, and by deciding this at the outset, you can plan accordingly. We all have our preferences and regardless of the style of your previous home, you could go for something completely different.
If you can work out a budget for essential items that must be acquired when you move in, this will help you to plan the most cost-effective way to get the ball rolling. Buying real estate is a costly exercise and your home furnishing budget might be rather limited, what with the other expenses already paid for, so when you wish to make a purchase, do some online price comparisons first, which might lead to a further saving.